Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Paid Days Off aka Vacation and horse poop

My work does not have vacation, holiday, sick days. We have a single bucket of time called 'paid days off'. So last week I requested to be off on Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday. On Monday night I thought about it and I really had several items at work that I felt needed attention and I decided that I should go to work on Tuesday rather than take the day off. Hayley had spent the night and Tori and Tina were going to go to Nashville Shores with her. My plan was to get up early, leave the house at 6:40, take them to Mt. Juliet to Zac and he was going to drive them to Nashville Shores when they open at 10:00. I was going to work until 4:00 and go pick them up after work.

So instead here is how my day went:

Got up on time at 5:15 and took my shower
Got Tori up at 5:45 for her shower
Had all the kids up, ready and loaded into the car at 6:30!! We were AHEAD of schedule
6:35 - arrived at the horse barn to feed the horses and goats... and here is where it all went to heck in a hand basket. The horses were out and the gate was wide open.

So now it is 6:40 in the morning and I am driving all around looking for evidence of where the horses have been (aka looking for poop). We check the boy horse that lives about 1/2 a mile from the house and they were not visiting him, we drove down New Hope Road and found some droppings almost to the golf course. So now we are thinking that sure is green grass over there and I pulled in. Walked up to the club house and asked them if they had seen any horses. You should have seen Tori's truck in the parking lot compared to the golfer's cars... (remember it always has mud all over it and now the tailgate is off, and it was loaded down with trash that needs to go to the dump)

We drive and drive around and around in circles looking. I called Robertson County animal control and Cheatham county animal control. The next step is we headed to Dollar General for poster board to start making signs. At this point it is now about 9:30. While the kids are making their posters I called my vet friend Denise to ask her if she had heard anything and she suggested to call the sheriff's department. So I made a call to them and bingo... a lady named Charlotte Sanders had called in and said she found two lost horses!!!! We were in luck. I called her and asked if they were a dapple gray and a palomino and they were. She was nice enough to get them off of New Hope road and put them into her neighbor's pasture. We went over there (10:00 now) to try to get them and the man with the key to the padlock on the gate was not home.

About 2 hours earlier I had decided I didn't see myself working today anyways :-)

So we went onto Nashville Shores. After 4 hours in the sun we headed back home to try again to find the person with the key. We did and Tori and I walked the horses 1.5 miles from where they were back to the barn with Mom and Tina following behind us to keep traffic from flying past us and spooking the horses. I could not have asked them to behave any better on that trip back. They knew their joy ride was over and were ready to go back home. I don't have a picture but just close your eyes and see Tori and I walking with two horses down New Hope Road....

No comments:

Post a Comment