Saturday, December 23, 2023

House Plans - Northern Lights 4

Soil Analysis Complete

Survey Complete

Now thinking about the house we are going to build.  We have been very happy with our decision to build a passive solar and ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) house.  So we decided to turn to www.sunplans.com to try to find our next home.  We know we want it to be 1 level, smaller than our current home, passive solar, north facing, lots of porch space, 3 bedrooms and a space for my office.  

Since making a firm decision on ICF, we reached out to a builder who needs a copy of our plans to give us an estimate on doing the foundation and outside walls.  He has said he thought he could get us on the schedule for May/June.

After looking through many plans and buying the study plans for 2 different houses, we decided on one called Northern Lights 4 (https://www.sunplans.com/house-plans/Northern_Lights_4).  So today we bought the CAD plans ($1,920).  

We have changes we plan to make.  We are going to take out the door in bedroom 3 that goes to the great room.  The other change is the dining room.  I don't think it will be used and I think the kitchen is too small.  Because of the vaulted ceiling, I am having to think outside the box here.  I'm going to do away with the panty closet in the kitchen, move the refrigerator, and make that a doorway into the dining room.  I'm going to build a wall down the middle of the dining room.  The left 1/2 will be approximately 8 X 11 and will be a butler pantry or scullery.  I will move the refrigerator into that room.  The right 1/2 of that room will be my office which will have the entry from the hallway.  I have a few other small changes that I haven't really finalized yet.

I will now be spending hours of time reading over these plans and trying to visualize every corner and understanding the changes that I will want to make.  But it is one more decision down.

Someone needs to check my sanity.  I really can't believe we are doing this again

It is interesting to see the pictures they have on their website for our current house :)  https://www.sunplans.com/house-plans/Fernwood_2 .  I sure miss some of the dogs in those pictures..

No comments:

Post a Comment