Saturday, December 23, 2023

Survey

 After getting the soil analysis scheduled, I went to meet with the surveyor.  Once again, the fact that the lady we are buying the land from had connections made a difference.  All the surveyors are backed up for months.  We needed someone that was willing to wait until we had the soil analysis done to start, but be willing to complete it within a few weeks.  We didn't want to incur any cost associated to a survey until we knew it would perc for 3 houses.  This is a tall ask and we recognized that.  This land was surveyed a few years ago as part of a 144 acre tract of land.  Obviously we are only buying around 1/3 of it, but some of the boundaries are still the same.  

Rod and I had a meeting at their office and outlined what I wanted.  I had a copy of the survey from a few years ago.  Took out my handy dandy rule, dusted off my math skills, and started calculating where we could put property lines to accommodate Tori and Matt getting 5 acres, Mom and Dad getting 5 acres, and Rod and I having the remainder.  We took that in and explained about the 3 building spots how we envisioned it all laid out, and the fact they shouldn't start work until they heard back from us.  Our tentative closing date was set for 12/15 and they were willing to work with that date.

Here is what I took into them with my calculations in pencil.


So on 12/5 I messaged them with the go-ahead.  Perc test was done, the soil scientist was going to call them with the details, let the survey begin.  We were very anxious to actually see the boundaries.  Rod and I had taken my rough estimates and placed some "rough" flags to help give everyone some idea of where they could try to put their house, but we had no idea how accurate I was in trying to lay it all out.

The surveyor's office sent me a tentative drawing and asked me to approve before they went out to put the flag and created the full legal descriptions.  

 
All looked good and we gave the go-ahead.  So while we were out of town I got the call that they had completed placing the flags and I could come by their office the following Monday and pay my $5000 bill.  Rod and I decided to go by there on Monday so that we could walk the perimeter.  Then we rushed by their office before closing to pick up the drawings.  Once at home we were shocked to see how the land was divided up.  He had made it so that most of soil area # 1 was on Tori and Matt's property and all of soil area #2 was on Mom and Dad's property... leaving Rod and I without any perc location!  Additionally this increased Mom and Dad's land by almost an acre.  This would mean we would have to pay for another soil analysis!   I was so very frustrated.


So Monday night was text messages with my realtor, the land owner, Tori and Mom and Dad.  I just couldn't believe that they went out there and put the flags after deviating from both my initial drawing and their draft drawing without EVER CALLING ME... 

Tuesday morning I was on the phone with the soil scientist who assured me that the soil analysis would accommodate 3 houses.  Next a call to the surveyor.  The surveyor did not want to change the lines.  He was trying to insist that I have the soil scientist come back and look for a 3rd spot (at a cost of $1,600).  He argued with me that he "didn't know until that morning that I wanted 3 houses on this land".  I had to let him know that the lack of communication in his own office was not my fault.  I had a 45 minute appointment with his staff laying out exactly what we were trying to do with sectioning this land.   I knew that if we had to look for another soil analysis spot, Rod and I would have to build on the other side of the creek that would cost a lot of money in a bridge for the driveway.  

After about 20 minutes arguing on the phone, he agreed to move the lines between Tori and Matt and Mom and Dad to split soil area # 1 between them and put soil area # 2 inside Tract 3.

I don't know if they have went back and marked the new corners or not.  They said they would, but at least we now have 3 tracts that all will be able to get a building permit.  One more step closer to closing.  Fortunately we had already decided to move the tentative closing date to after the New Year.  The current owner asked if we would be ok with that so it would hit her 2024 taxes and we agreed.  Nothing was going to happen between mid December to mid January anyways.

So the PSA for young people looking for a career - Just like soil scientist, there is a need for more surveyors.  If you have a strong aptitude for Math and enjoy being outside... this could be the job for you.  Again the fees are not cheap.

PSA # 2 - If anyone decides to become a surveyor as a career - if you are making changes from what the customer expected, call them before you waste your time going and driving stakes in the ground.

Hurdle # 2 is clear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment