Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Grumpy

Grumpy is the only way to describe my mood today. I'm not sure if it is the building process, the campers, work, the kids home from school, or what but everyone and everything is annoying me.

Yesterday the framers cornered me to ask me many, many question about the framing upstairs. Basically what happened is the home plans that we bought were only designed for the lower story to be ICF. We want both stories ICF so the builder was going to take that into account by expanding the downstairs walls by 5". However, it didn't happen. So our upstairs walls are all 5 1/2" thicker than what the plans call for. This is causing me problems because now the rooms are smaller than the plans. On bedrooms it really isn't that big of a deal, but the bathrooms have now become a headache. So I emailed the builder to express how upset I was. (for those that know me, I really was not too mean in the email). We had snow today, so there wasn't any work to be done today anyway. They decided not to have the framers come back until we work out where the walls are all going to be.

The proposed solutions so far:
Extra bathroom upstairs - was supposed to be a 3/4 bathroom with a toilet, sink, and shower. We are going to lose the shower and make it smaller so that the spare bedroom will have a big enough closet and I won't have to lose the pantry. We will also no longer have access to this bathroom from the bedroom, just from the hallway.

Master Bathroom - there was a 6" wall between the master bedroom and bathroom, they are going to tear that back down (yes it is already been built on Sunday, moved over 6" on Monday, and now on Wednesday will be torn down and rebuilt!) and make it a 4" wall. Then they are going to take a 4 foot section and move that part of the wall 8" into the master bedroom so that there will still be room for a separate tub and shower.

Kitchen - there were 2 walls that the plans call for 8" walls. This was for thermal mass in the house which we will not need as much of because we are doing ICF on that story. Shrinking these walls down to 4" regular walls recovers almost all of the space that we were missing.

My builder has really apologized for the mistake and is trying very hard to help me be ok with the changes. However, this added stress must have been the straw on the camel's back....

1 comment:

  1. I thought "Grumpy" was your Dad's role????? ha Just ask Tina and Tori.

    ReplyDelete