Sunday, February 7, 2010

Maple Syrup- In Production



Today I put 4 gallons of sugar water from the trees into my 20 quart pot and began cooking it down at 2PM. It takes a long time to evaporate 3 1/2 gallons of water out of the sap. While it was cooking I practiced softball with Tina, checked on the framers with Brandy (they worked on Sunday), cleaned out ALL the tools in 4Runner, straightened up the wooden shed, did a little fencing, rolled hay in for the horses, Helped Tina with some horse training on Willow, cleaned Tina's new boots, and saw 4 deer walk by.
At 7 PM I brought the remaining sap in to do the final cook down on the gas range. It did not take long from there. I am very pleased with how it tastes. We will have some blueberry pancakes one night this week and see how it tastes after cooling down. I only got about 16 oz from 4 gallons of sap. That was expected. I have another 8 gallons of sap already collected.

2 comments:

  1. that is amazing~!~! I didn't even know that is available in TN. Did it have the sugar maple taste like you get from Vermont?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Invite me! I love maple syrup and pancakes!!!

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete